Articles by Alan W. Dowd
Capitalizing on the Capitalist Peace
Wednesday, July 9, 2014
- The next time the United States is compelled to try to rescue and rehabilitate a broken nation, Washington needs to pay as much attention to building free ...
Bordering on Chaos
Sunday, March 2, 2014
- To overcome its deadly corruption and chaos, Mexico needs to increase its defense spending and freedom-oriented reforms.
The Arctic Becomes a Hot Spot
Sunday, December 8, 2013
- The main source of global energy reserves and geopolitical tensions could shift in the not-too-distant future from the Middle East to the Arctic. Here’s why.
Afghanistan’s Rare Earth Element Bonanza
Tuesday, August 13, 2013
- Afghanistan’s recently mapped deposits of rare earth elements provide hope that the war-torn nation can achieve peace and prosperity.
Is Football on Its Deathbed?
Sunday, May 5, 2013
- Lawsuits over players’ brain injuries have some saying football is dead. In fact, it has dislodged baseball as the national pastime and will remain America’s ...
Measuring Freedom around the World
Monday, March 18, 2013
- The new Human Freedom Index reminds us there is much work to do to restrain the leviathan and expand liberty in the twenty-first century — at home and abroad.
A Bigger Ten: In Defense of Conference Expansion
Friday, November 30, 2012
- A question of dollars and sense: why you should embrace college sports conference disruption.
Retiring the World’s Policeman
Wednesday, August 3, 2011
- President Obama and his Tea Party rivals find themselves on the same side of defense cuts. This is bad news for the country.
The High Cost of Volunteering
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
- The Obama administration’s costly AmeriCorps plans take the volunteer out of volunteerism.
Paying the Price?
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
- In a year of sports shame, the Major League Baseball steroid controversy was the biggest scandal of all. But it may not hurt MLB profits in 2008, writes ALAN ...
Fixing the BCS Mess
Thursday, December 6, 2007
- College football should bow to reality and devise a workable playoff system, says ALAN W. DOWD.
The Decline and Fall of Declinism
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
- Some people don’t want to admit it, but America is in great shape.