Articles by Amity Shlaes
The ‘Scrooge’ Who Begat Plenty
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
- Civility to one’s opponents, certainty, restraint, federalism, economy, thrift, and respect for faith: these and other Coolidge ideals are needed today.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
- For lovers of infrastructure and free-flowing trade, like AMITY SHLAES, there’s no place like Panama.
‘The Best Place in the World’
Thursday, July 12, 2007
- It’s summer camp, a phenomenon invented by a Prussian and now quintessentially American. AMITY SHLAES remembers Camp Martin Johnson and has the scar to prove ...
Second Thoughts on Breasts
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
- The FDA banned silicone implants in 1992 despite a lack of evidence that they were unsafe. Now, the ban has been reversed Where’s the apology? asks Amity ...
Valley of the Dolls
Friday, February 2, 2007
- As the anti-Barbie, the American Girl doll is an exceptional artifact that combines the commercial with the good, writes AMITY SHLAES. Mattel makes money, and ...
The Greatest Gift
Friday, November 17, 2006
- Andrew Mellon gave America its finest art museum, the National Gallery.