Articles by Amy Kass and Leon Kass
The Origins and Traditions of Columbus Day
Friday, October 10, 2014
- Columbus Day is a most unusual American holiday and has become a day 'to celebrate not only an intrepid searcher but the dreams and opportunities that brought ...
AEI Classics: The Origins and Traditions of Washington’s Birthday Holiday
Monday, February 17, 2014
- Americans celebrated Washington’s birthday long before Congress in 1879 declared it a holiday for federal workers in the District of Columbia, and, in 1885, a ...
AEI Classics: The Origins and Traditions of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Monday, January 20, 2014
- Americans use this anniversary not only to pay tribute to one man’s efforts in the cause of equal rights, but also to celebrate the Civil Rights Movement as a ...
AEI Classics: The Origins and Traditions of Thanksgiving
Tuesday, November 26, 2013
- As Americans settle in to celebrate another Thanksgiving, we look back at the holiday's history.
AEI Classics: The Meaning of Veterans Day
Friday, November 8, 2013
- Each November 11, our nation commemorates Veterans Day. But what does the holiday mean, and how do we properly observe it?
America's Birthday: The True Meaning of July 4 (Part 3)
Wednesday, July 3, 2013
- All Americans would agree that July 4th is an important date for our nation, but we have constantly debated its meaning and the proper way to celebrate it, ...
America’s Birthday: The True Meaning of July 4 (Part 2)
Tuesday, July 2, 2013
- In speeches delivered nearly 10 years apart, two men from very different backgrounds – one a president and one a former slave – reflect on the meaning of July ...
America’s Birthday: The True Meaning of July 4 (Part 1)
Monday, July 1, 2013
- The Declaration of Independence is the birth announcement of the American Republic. Do we understand its full meaning? Does our modern Republic live up to its ...