Articles by Joseph Epstein
The Playing Fields of Suburbia
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
- Adult involvement may be a chief cause of children’s declining participation in sports.
October Is the Richest Month for Sports
Wednesday, October 16, 2013
- The greatest month to be a sports fan.
Not Being There
Thursday, August 22, 2013
- Don’t let the hype fool you: the best place to watch the U.S. Open and many other sports these days is from your couch.
The Original Sports Magazine
Friday, July 5, 2013
- Before the advent of television, Americans relied on sports writers to keep up with their favorite athletes and events. Of all the publications that arose to ...
Saturday, May 11, 2013
- The national pastime may be past its time. But those who think it’s boring need to think again.
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
- For a long while we have not been seeing college basketball at its best — the coaches are unpleasant and the most talented college-age players aren’t playing ...
Friday, February 22, 2013
- What to think when a player looks like a rocker, a Fiat mechanic, a cable guy, a terrorist — anything but the very competitive athlete he is.
The Artist Athlete
Friday, January 4, 2013
- Jocks sometimes rise to genuine athletic distinction, but they are not artist athletes, who comprise a different, more elevated category altogether.
A Couch Potato at a Time of Transition
Friday, November 9, 2012
- We’re living in an age of transition, and no one feels the sense of transition more strongly than a couch potato as one sports season slides into another.
Football’s Head Games: The Concussion Question
Friday, September 7, 2012
- A snake has been let loose in the autumn Saturday and Sunday afternoon Edens of those couch potatoes among us who love to watch football.
The Long, Hot Summer
Thursday, August 2, 2012
- The grave yawns, the economy is in the tubes, the world generally is in peril, yet, upon realizing that there is a game tonight, my heart takes a small but ...
Anyone for Tennis?
Friday, June 1, 2012
- Fifth-class player that I was, I seem to have retired from tennis, roughly half a century ago, just in time.
The Complex Life of the Couch Potato
Friday, February 3, 2012
- ‘If the question is about sports,’ legendary TV sports producer Don Ohlmeyer once said, ‘the answer is money.’ Whatever is a fan to do?